Print #6. State of Alaska v. Udall, 1969

32x16
Print #6. State of Alaska v. Udall, 1969. 32×16″ 18 oz. scrim weatherproof vinyl.

Text & Citations for Print #6: State of Alaska v. Udall, 1969

“In its answer to the complaint, Native Village denied the State’s allegation that the land selected was vacant, unappropriated and unreserved. As an affirmative defense, Native Village asserted that it uses, owns, and occupies all or substantially all of the real property which forms the subject matter of this action.”
State of Alaska v. Udall, 420 F.2d 938, 939–40 (9th Cir. 1969)

“We hold that on the present state of the record there were genuine issues of material fact, and for that reason the case should not have been disposed of on the State’s motion for summary judgment. The judgment is reversed and the cause is remanded to the district court for further proceedings consistent with this opinion. In view of the pendency in Congress of proposed legislation which, if enacted, would probably resolve all or most of the issues involved in this complex litigation,3 the district court may, in the exercise of its discretion, hold the trial in abeyance for a reasonable period of time.”
State of Alaska v. Udall, 420 F.2d 938, 940 (9th Cir. 1969)

3 Hearings on S. 1830 to Provide for the Settlement of Certain Land Claims, Alaska Natives, and for Other Purposes before Senate Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs, 91st Cong., 1st Sess., Preliminary transcript, Vol. 1, p. 2 (April 29, 1969), as cited in the brief of the amicus curiae, Alaska Federation of Natives.

Image Sources:

  • Photo: Coal in Nenana Fields. [between ca. 1900 and ca. 1930] Library of Congress, LOT 11453-1, no. 402 [P&P].
  • Map: [ca. 1968] David S. Black Papers. Alaska Native Claims, North Slope, Box #63, JFK Library, Boston.

“WordWrap 2017: Historical Reflections on the Law of the Land.” Created by Lisa Link for the Alaska Sesquicentennial Commemorative Exhibit, “Voices of Change: Perspectives on the Transfer of Alaska from Russia to the United States” at Sitka National Historical Park.